This was the conversation I just had with J
J: my skin is kinda itchy today, i think it is going to turn white
Me: honey, your skin cant change colors
J: why not?
Me: that is the way God made you, you dont want to change what God made! and honestly, there are more people who look like your color than my color.
J: How come I never see them here in America?
I think we need to move out of our white suburban neighborhood.
9 comments:
Wanna go to San Diego with us???? :-)
http://indianapolis.about.com/od/artsculture/tp/MLK.htm
theres a special event at the childrens museum there...
:)
come South!!!!!
I don't think you need to take THAT drastic a move...living in an all black neighborhood (as a white person) has made me realize how little it matters that people look like me. Might be a good time to instill the whole "more than what you see on the outside" concept to your kid...
I have to say that I'm happy to see more color at our church lately, but it definitely is still predominantly white here, unfortunately. I also would like to move someday to a place with more color and culture.
Oh, also Shelley, you guys might check out IUSB next month. When I worked there at least they used to have an African Heritage Month celebration every year where people would come out and play music, bring food, etc. Pretty neat stuff!
anonymous-
you are right, i think it would be prejudice of us to move into an all black neighborhood, in search of black friends! i just feel there has to be more balance-maybe we arent looking hard enough for it? we have 40 houses in our neighborhood-besides ben and joseph and a little girl adopted from india, ALL the rest are white. at the elementery school they will attend, it is 98.5% white. i just dont want to be the 'white' mom who doesnt care and acts like it doesnt matter. when my 3 year old is coming up with this on his own, i feel i cant ignore it.
We have the same problem (?) here, so we started OCEAN Orange County Ethiopian Adoption Network to make it easier to surround ourselves with Africa friends for our family, and to share the adoption experience, too. It's been awesome. Do you have a group like it in your area maybe???
Thanks for posting these conversations, I'm not having them yet and it's honestly a blessing to get to see ahead of time what my kids might be saying in a year or so.
Oh, and wanna come to Denver with us? :)
Post a Comment