I feel like we will always be this weird family with all these little kids. I know God has called us to this and as Christians, he has not called us to just blend in and look like everyone else. But it gets tiring. Just at the grocery today, a lady stopped me and said "aren't you so and so's neighbor? How many kids do you have?" and then the question I ALWAYS get "How do you do it?"
I never know how to answer this. Most days, I have no idea. And a lot of days, I feel like I am not doing a great job. Someone is getting ignored, someone is not getting enough one on one attention, someone didn't get enough loving, etc. Things are rarely done on time or in the fashion I would like them to be.
Yet there are days that I am just so proud to be the mother of five amazing children. Why has God chosen me to raise this many? I think it is a joke, but I am going to do my best. Try my hardest to teach them that they are children of God, that they are loved and cherished and that they can do anything their hearts desire.
Maybe I don't want to be normal after all.


12 comments:
What is "normal" anyway? I think everying you said is your normal...my normal just looks different. Who was it that said "normal is just a setting on a dryer"!!!
thanks sara. i needed that this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i probably need to go do laundry now. :)
As soon as I read your post I heard this: "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:1-2
You're family is good and acceptable (exceptional, even) and perfect for your family. Normal is such a subjective term and WAY overrated!
XOXO
Laura
thanks laura. i appreciate that.
I don't post comments a lot but I have been following your family blog for a long time and just wanted to say that I think your family is beautiful and an inspiration. My husband and I hope to have a large family one day and we know we will be hit with these questions as we only have two right now and people already tell me... but why would you want more ?
So Thank you for sharing this post, it makes me feel like we will not be alone in having to deal with the questions that big families do get !
Your children are all soo beautiful !
Lisa
Ok, you need to know you are AMAZING!!! You are a great mom. When I see your little train of children every week at church I am amazed at how happy and together your kids are.. ALL OF THEM. Each one of them is fortunate to have you as their mom. So next time someone says something to you about how do you do it... Say I do it very well, thank you!!! Have a great cold day!!!
Rita B
What beautiful children!
Your 5 under 5 sounds all too familiar. Now we are 10 under 12. :)
No, you do NOT want to be normal! You want to live life to its fullest and you are doing just that! Thanks for the comment on our web site earlier. Great to connect with you! Your family is beautiful!!!
GREAT post!! I could not have said it bettter myself!
SO WONDERFUL, oh how i relate to this! i'm going to link this to my blog, i could not have said it better. (and totally cracking up at rita's "i do it very well" response, that is awesome!)
your family is beautiful and even though i've never met you i'm grateful to knwo there's another family like ours out there.
Sometimes I get the "how do you do it?" question (and I only have one child right now... but a bunch of other stuff, and one on the way!)
I always respond the same way: only by the grace of God, His mercy and lovingkindness.
Amazing how many people will be open to hearing about God working in your life when they can see the evidence of His hand!
You have a beautiful family and you're an inspiration to me... I hope to have a large family like your's one day, with both biological and adopted children
Post a Comment